I cleared off all but one bed today. Its a lot of work to clear corn stalks and the deep weeds I had.
I started planting my garlic. I found many garlic shoots coming up in the parsnip bed – my 2 year old top sets, I think. I transplanted all these to the new garlic bed. I have a couple weeks to finish the job of planting the rest of the garlic.
And I dug potatoes. My guess about 30-40 lbs. I’ve been eating potatoes from the bed since mid summer, so total harvest is more than this. Wish I didn’t spear so many. There must be a technique or tool to avoid this. I stabbed many big Red Norland’s – my biggest variety. Others, smaller, were less of a problem. I triple dug and think I got most/all. I don’t want to risk carrying over blight spores. In spite of the Late Blight disaster this year, the potato harvest is excellent.
The compost bin is overflowing! I managed to get up on it and stomp it down. But I will have to find another location for a second bin soon.
The next chore is to bring loads of compost and manure and layer it onto the beds that will need it next year. I’m drawing up a plan for next year. I’m realizing I need to do better at planning. Beds I’d like to prep for heavy feeders have winter parsnips and greens still in them.