radish story

My friend I gave seeds and a pot to has just harvested radishes! I’m soooo impressed. Way to go Anne Marie!

She never grew any vegetables before and wanted to grow something – seed to harvest. With her very young girls. Her garden space is a sunny patio. So she planted a lettuce/mesclun mix and radish in pots. This weekend she pulled her first radish. A pretty round red one, she said. Her little girl tried a slice (brave!) and sadly shook her head and said “Mummy, its too spicy for me”. Radish are great! So pretty and quick and … spicy.

pot and seeds for a friend

• Marian(LondonUK)
    June 9, 2009 7:55 AM

I remember you doing this, at the time I thought how nice! Doing nice things for others is rewarding in many ways. I haven't sown any radish yet, I have mislaid my seeds they are French Breakfast which seem to be highly recommended.
    Happy Tuesday.
    Marian(LondonUK)

• Oh I love to grow radishes. They are so eager to come up and they are such pretty colors. However, I am with your little friend. they are to spicy for me also. As much as I want to like them they just taste like spicy dirt.

• I just finished my radishes. I'll plant my third green beans in their place in a couple of weeks.

• Reminds me of a time I tried to get one of my sons to try a sweet banana pepper. He refused soI told him to watch me eat it. It wasn't a sweet banana pepper, it was a hot pepper!

He won't try anything I ask him to now unless I taste it first!

• Lightly sauteing radishes gives them a little sweetness.
    I grew breakfast radishes, but they did not grow very long like on the seed packet–more of an oval shape. Maybe it's the weather here (midAtlantic)–it's been a cool and rainy spring, but I thought they would like that. Or maybe it is my soil (a mix of topsoil and compost in a raised bed). Any thoughts?

• I, too loved my first radishes this year (and in general) so much. The knitter in me secretly compared them to sock or hat knitting: fun to watch the process, fast, instant gratification and a great result… I have a surprise seed mix of several different radish varieties and it is so much fun. The white long ones are the spiciest ones, especially at their points.

• Marion in Savannah
    June 20, 2009 1:45 AM

Just discovered your blog (you're bookmarked now) so I'm late to this party. When I was a little girl I thought radishes were too spicy too, until my mother put a bit of butter one one. Wow! It moderates the "spiciness" while letting the radish flavor come through. I've been a radish fan ever since. Now I'm off to explore more of this wonderful blog…