krinkly kale leaves

tuscan kale
winterbor kale red russian kale
mulched winterbor kale mulched kales

I’ve been admiring the krinkles and colors of my kale leaves. They seem to get prettier by the day. Hard to choose between kale soup and more kale photos. As they say: you can’t have your kale and eat it too … (I do actually have enough for both.)

The varieties here are Tuscan kale (thin blue leaves with dinosaur like krinkles), red Russian kale (giant ruffled leaves with purple/pink stems) and winterbor kale (very very curly blueish leaves).

Kale (Brassica oleracea, Acephala Group)

• So which one of those do you like best?

• Hmmm. For eating, I think maybe winterbor, the really curly one, then Tuscan. The Red Russian is kind of plain looking. But all are good. And they are nice all together.

• LOL…I vote for pictures then we can share too! Wonderful photos, the first one almost looks alien!

• I LOVE kale of all sorts, and just fished out some frozen Tuscan kale to toss into a soup. When we first moved to the South (almost 25 years ago), a much older colleague asked me if I’d ever eaten kale. At that time, I said no, but proceeded to become entranced with greens of all sorts — turnip, mustard, and kale, as well as argula, radicchio, and asian greens,

YUM.

• beautiful!! makes me want to go pick some! I am always glad to see photos from other North-East vegetable gardens.

Your garden is wonderful and you do such a great job illustrating all the goings-on.

cheers

• Spectacular detail. Kale never looked so good!

• I wish my kale looked that good! I have one Cavolo Nero kale that has been nibbled to death. Hope it recovers in Spring. Fantastic photo!

• Hallo, I am Roberta from Italy, I also love the Cavolo Toscano, which is usually called Black here.
    We use it for a tipical Tucanian soup, with toasted bread, onions, cheese.
    ciao