sprouts around the yard

snow drops hellobore
daffodils crocus
autumn joy bleeding heart
I checked around my yard this morning to sees what’s up. It looks like its almost time to rake off my covering of last fall’s leaves so the spring bulbs can grow. From the top: snow drops, hellebore, daffodil, crocus, sedum “Autumn Joy” and bleeding heart.

• Janet from Chincoteague Island
    March 10, 2008 5:49 PM

I spotted some of last year’s Swiss chard peeking through the ground over the weekend. Of course, I am anxiously awaiting those peas to poke through at some point soon!

• I didn’t know swiss chard would come back. That’s great.

My soil is still frozen solid. It crunches when I walk on it. It’ll be a while before my peas go in. You’re lucky.

• Sweet, it looks like a great start to a healthy garden, can’t wait to see these sprouts as they grow.

• speaking of sprouts – what news of the milk bottle experiment?

• No sprouts in the milk bottles yet. I just checked again this morning and nothing green down there. Still only dirt.

• Isn’t it nice to see signs of spring. I’m glad you added names to the pictures. A couple were hard to ID. I sort of thought that was a hellebore but wouldn’t have any idea what the bleeding heart was.

• Janet from Chincoteague
    March 11, 2008 12:56 PM

Last year, the Swiss chard came through, too, but it tends to bolt quickly. So, you need to just harvest it right away, then pull it.

BUT, on another note, WE OFFICIALLY HAVE PEA SHOOTS! Yesterday, after work, I checked on their progress, and there they were, poking throught the ground! YEAH!

• oh! how wonderful to know that Spring has arrived somewhere! Still have a (receding) glacier field here…sigh.

Catherine
    NW Illinois

• Janet from Chincoteague
    March 11, 2008 4:25 PM

I’m a native Pennsylvanian, and I do miss snow even though I’m not too far down into the South and we can get it here! I know that just about everyone else has had their fill of it at this point. We’ve had a few little flirts with it this winter and it’s been lovely! I need to be content with what we get! But I’m glad that we don’t have a glacier like you do!

• So exciting this time of year to see things sprouting up! Every day something new appears.

• hang in there “anonymous” on the glacier. spring is just around the corner!