We had a very successful garden event today. We requested volunteers come to help dig a trench (about 125 feet long x 1 ft deep) to run an extra water line to the new plots. About 25 people came and it was short work to dig, lay line, and back fill. Thanks to all who came!
I checked on my beans at my plot today. I had a terrible problem with Mexican bean beetle. On Thursday, I sprayed with Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Spray. I am pleased with the results. Very few larvae/beetles left today. I was able to squish these (yuck… I HATE to do this…). I will try to keep up with squishing them so I don’t need to use spray again. Maybe I will bring an old glove to the garden and use this. I notice that many plots have skeleton bean leaves this year with bad bean beetle infestations.
I picked a handful of Chinese pole beans pods that I let ripen fully on the vines. I save these every year for replanting next year.
I continue to plant seeds for fall crops. I put in three rows of peas today. A bit late, but so hot I couldn’t see planting sooner. I planted Caselode and Oregon Giant. Also a couple rows of carrots and lettuce seeds. I’ve been planting carrots every week for the past month. They don’t do well with such dry weather, but I keep at it. I’ve covered the beds with row fabric and this seems to help keep in moisture and shade small seedlings.
I have some nice lettuce ans spinach seedlings under lights at home now. Its fun to watch them grow. They a coddled to be watered and under lights.