seeds planted

Starting Seeds
8 Comments

seeds planted

I ran out of wooden plant labels, so I have temporary labels cut out of yogurt containers.

List:
Kale, Wild kale mix (Territorial)
Kale, Tuscan (Sand Hill)
Kale, Winterbor (Sand Hill)
Parsley
Thyme, German winter
Eggplant, Black Beauty
Broccoli, Blue Wind (Johnny’s)
Broccoli, Marathon (Johnny’s)
Tomatoes: Orange Blossom, Box Car Willie, Beaver Lodge, and Cherokee Purple
Eggplant, Black Beauty
Escarole, broadleaf
Collards
Lettuce, Rouge d’Hiver (Ohio Heirloom)
Lettuce, black-seeded Simpson
Lettuce,Big Boston (Burpee)

• I'm intrigued – tell us about wild kales. Where did you find them and how are they different from the domestic variety ?
    Your winter sowing has inspired me to try it this year. I'm off to collect jugs and soil mix in the morning.

• Kathy – Thanks for a great idea! I've been using popsicle sticks which are a bit small for my purposes. I really like the idea of recycling dairy containers as labels!
    – Daisy and Pixie in AZ, sunny and 75 degrees

• Marian(LondonUK)
    February 15, 2010 2:36 PM

Hi there, great stuff, early tomato adventure too! I have just got home to find seeds on the doormat, early cauliflower and cabbage if I seed now I could be eating them in May. I used plastic labels last year using a permanent marker pen many just faded or washed off during the course of the season. Do you "fix" the writing with anything?
    Marian (LondonUK)

• Hi Kathy,
    Great minds think alike 🙂 Yesterday, I ran out of seed markers too. I was upset at having to pay roughly $2.50 for 12 or so markers at Lowes. I just think that is outrageous. I don't remember exactly the price and quantity, but, it was something like that. So, I fashioned some strips from cut up laundry soap containers. I felt good repurposing something. My son and I ended up making over 80 markers. Now that you mention it yogurt cups would be an excellent choice too. I had used popsicle sticks, recently, but those bled and actually started to rot after awhile.

Since I'm in So. Cal. I actually, repotted most of my seedlings into larger containers yesterday. Whew! It was a lot of work, but, everything is coming along pretty good. I only lost one tray of seeds. I didn't have my lights set up right at first. I chalk it up to a learning experience.

The days are getting warmer here and the soil is starting to get warm and is drying after all our rains.

Happy gardening,
    Chris

• I've used these plastic seed markers before and when you put them outside the writing comes right off. Its only a temporary label, while the plants are inside. Rain and watering outside washes the ink off. As soon as I can, I will replace these with wooden labels.

I get my wooden labels at True Value for 6 cents each. They have some 4 cent ones too, but the ink will run and wash off these. There's no point in having a label if it doesn't hold the ink.

• Another great idea for labels is to use old aluminum window blinds. You can make several hundred labels from one old blind that you would otherwise throw away.

• I like your creative idea of the dairy container. I was just thinking this morning that I have an old mini blind to use. Are you using permanent markers? I am – so I hope the writing doesn't come off.

• Gardening was really a great thing to do.I am glad you posted an information about it.Actually i am sort of a garden lover and i am looking for some data about it.