My summer squash are coming in so fast I thought I’d get a list of ideas together of things to do with it.
– grilled, with olive oil and herbs
– grilled, chile-coated with honey lime dressing (Dan’s post with photo)
– grilled with olive oil, salt and pepper (roasted or fried in sunflower oil works too), with a yogurt-garlic-dill sauce (a Bulgarian classic from Svetla)
– zucchini risotto (I’m going to try this tonight and I’ll add the recipe!)
– fried zucchini (maybe Friday night…)
– squash carpacchio (raw zucchini with goat cheese)
– stuffed zucchini (a full meal)
– raw for snacks or grated in salad
– sliced in quiche
– casserole: layer blanched slices alternately with chopped onion and buttered bread crumbs, repeat 2-3 x and top with butter, cook at 350*F til hot and bubbly (ahhh! Saturday night)
– another casserole: new potato and summer squash casserole
– Squash bread (one of my favorite recipes, works well with grated frozen summer squash)
– dry them
– zucchini cake (sounds so yummy!)
– chocolate zucchini cake!
– appetizer: stuff blanched tiny baby patty pan or other squashes with buttered fresh bread crumbs sauteed with garlic and fresh herbs, heat through and serve
– add refried leftovers to omelet or frittata
– grate and freeze for winter recipes
– sneak it onto your neighbors porch at night (or, my mom’s trick, into a car with an open window)
– and, last resort, “compost the buggers“.