Some interesting points from the video:
– 4,500 potato varieties are native to Peru. The shapes, size and colors of the native potatoes are a revelation. The names, too.
– More than 80 per cent of these are now preserved in a gene bank in Lima
– Some of these varieties may be several thousand years old and they are being hand down from generation to generation by the Andean farmers….
– Potatoes produce more food nutrition with less energy and less time than any of our other staple food crops
– We would never argue that potatoes should supplant rice or wheat or maize, but we’re arguing for diversification of the food security portfolio and putting as much attention to potatoes and the other roots and tubers as we are to grains. The grains are particularly susceptible to some of the climate change problems