pea rootlet

pea seed with rootlet
I checked on my peas that I planted outside two weeks ago (March 18). They have been growing – little roots have started! We have warm wet weather coming up, so I’ll watch for sprouts.

Pisum sativum

• It looks like the seed was dropped on top of the soil (not buried at all). Is that how we’re supposed to do it?

• No, peas need to be planted a couple inches deep.

I seeded them all 1-2 inches deep, but sometimes the seeds will work their way to the surface as they sprout. I found two on the surface this morning and, after photographing them, buried them again.

If none had surfaced, I would have dug one up just to check the progress. I get very curious about what’s going on under the soil. I dug up one of my fava bean seeds. They were planted 2 to 4 inches deep and none had surfaced. No sprouting on these seeds – but it was swelling and getting ready to sprout.

• I’m glad to see your peas have sprouted. I live in Brighton, MA and planted peas around the same time, and haven’t seen anything yet, so I was scared it was too cold for them. Now, I’m going to dig one up to check on its growth!

• Thanks for the update!!! This is my first year planting a spring crop, so I have been looking forward to learning the status of your peas. I planted mine 1 week ago.

First thing after work… I’m going to my local Cambridge Community Garden (Squirrel Brand – Boardman & Broadway) to check on my peas, beets, radishes, and kohlrabi.

• Good luck! If you have time, leave a comment and let me know how your seeds are doing.

• I cannot wait to start my vegetable garden. I’m in the planning stages and I have no idea what I’m doing!

Looking forward to following along!

• What fun! Good luck.